Community Involvement Hours During COVID-19
Updated for the 2020-2021 School Year
Opportunities For Students to Earn Volunteer Hours In the Time of COVID-19
Given the challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused, we would like to provide a list of suggested opportunities for students to gain community involvement hours at a distance.
What follows is a list of suggestions for students if they wish to add to their community involvement hours:
- Write a letter to a grandparent or a neighbour.
- Babysit siblings so that parents/caregivers can work from home.
- Do chores such as cleaning up, raking leaves or other yard work, prepare family meals to support parents working from home.
- Create an inspirational video to post to social media.
- Create inspirational/positive messaging to other students using social media.
- Create a window display to increase community morale.
- Create a video to entertain children (sing a song, create art) to post on social media
- Create a video teaching a skill (words from a language other than English or cooking a favourite food) to children
- Create a list of resources that could be helpful for families or that could support children during this time and post on social media
- SPARK Ontario
- SPARK and the Government of Ontario are connecting volunteers with community response efforts to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
WRDSB students are reminded that they may track their community service hours through their MyWay Account.
Please visit the K-W Volunteer Action Centre website for Virtual Volunteering Opportunities.